General Screenshot/Movie Thread (Archive)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Cinossu, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solar

Solar What? Member

Eggman just drunk.  :biggrin:

Your idea is good, but to realize such a miracle I won't be able to.

I don't really understand the ACM.

But thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2014
  2. Shockwave

Shockwave 3 Time Stones Member

It actually wouldn't be that tricky to implement. You could just have the boss start out using its original routine and have it run a new routine once the SST for Eggman's hit counter reaches a certain amount. I'd show an example if I wasn't at work right now.

Alright, here's what I was talking about:

loc_17772:
    move.w 8(a0),$30(a0)
    move.w $C(a0),$38(a0)
    move.b #$F,$20(a0)
    move.b #8,$21(a0) ; set number of hits to 8

Since, $21 sets the number of hits, you can do this later in your boss object:

Boss_Routine:
    *Lines of code*
    cmpi.b #4,$21(a0)        ; does Eggman have 4 hits left?
    bgt.s @Return             ; branch if greater than 4
    addq.b #2,$25(a0)       ; set next routine
    bra.s  New_Routine      ; start next routine

@Return:

rts

New_Routine:
    *Lines of code*

Lets say Boss_Routine is the routine used by the original boss. At the end of the routine, instead of immediately using the original rts (or bra), you can use these added lines to do a check for if the boss has 4 hits or less remaining. If it does, then it'll move to your new routine and set it as the current routine. If the hit counter is still above 4, then it'll continue to the rts and continue with the normal routine.

That's just how I would do it though, the way you have it right now is still pretty cool since the player immediately gets something new. But if you ever want to attempt making a pinch mode, there you go.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2014
  3. Solar

Solar What? Member

Shockwave, thanks for the example. :)
    And here.

The new version of the background
    [​IMG]

Ok!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2014
  4. std282

std282 Flat and sharp Member

Hm... I think that transition from sky to stars is too sharp. Expect for that, very good work.

Edit: Hezon, why did you edited your post? My comment is nonsense now. =S

Eh... Okay then.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
  5. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

Hmm that looks strangely familiar :p

[​IMG]

You must have great taste, like Karate Cat, who did this for me. lol

Edit: are your lights animated?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
  6. Sonic master

Sonic master Well-Known Member Member

I did more work on Retro graphics toolkit.

I fixed numerous bugs. I added support for loading chuncks from sonic 1 and block. I added a project system where Retro graphics toolkit creates one file that contains all data such as tilese palette and map data. Also I added the concept of project groups and project sharing. You can have multiple project simultaneously loaded and share data with those projects. For example lets say you have two levels one takes place at day and one takes place at night. You could share the tiles, block and chunck data but have different layout (not yet added to Retro graphics toolkit but will be) and a different palette. When you edit shared data it will affect both projects as the secound project merily points to the first project. To save all projects and one file and to avoid storing shared data multiple times you can easily load/save a project group. Also if you don't want a paticular type of data in the project for example if you don't want chuncks simply uncheck the "Have Chuncks" button. Anyways I have not yet finished programming chuncks so I have NOT updated the windows binary but changes to the source code are on github https://github.com/ComputerNerd/Retro-Graphics-Toolkit

I will update this post or reply to this topic when done. [​IMG]

Edit the lava looks off because I used the wrong tiles.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
  7. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Nice work! What's with the animated lava though?

8. Shockwave

Decided to record another video. I may as well call this Sonic CD 2 at this point.

9. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

I can't even begin, I mean I don't even know what to say. Just wow, I don't know how long you have been hacking, but you have caught on faster than anyone the community has had, at least to me it feels like that. Keep up the work and since I may have lost all my hack, ( to a laptop overheat ) I won't be trying to join a contest ever, it's possible you guys won't hear from me again, oh well. Anyway keep it up, hope to see more.

Edit: actually this probably isn't the last time I'll post, forgot a 3 week old version is in Dropbox.

Edit2: ok since I have caught my sanity again, I'd like to ask, if you ported this from SCD, or did it from scratch?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2014
  10. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

if only this place had a tech member title, because you my good sir just never cease to amaze me. every vid or screenshot you show of your hack always gets me more interested in seeing more of what else you have and for you to be able to do this much with very little or short time says a lot. once again awesome stuff dude.

(As for the name, how about Sonic CD Genesis Edition? just a suggestion IDK.)

11. Shockwave

Thanks, I'm always happy to know that you guys are enjoying what I have to show.

I appreciate the name suggestion, but I've never been particularly big on "Sonic xxxxxx Edition" names for hacks. Not to mention that particular name (or at least something close enough to it) has already been used, so I wouldn't want to confuse people.

I'll think of something, I swear. =P

12. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Aside from the personal preferences (I still hate the FM jump sound and I've never been a fan of the panned camera, which I find confusing), this gets more and more impressive every time I see it. By the way, are you storing the collected rings informations anywhere when you travel between time zones? I had the impression that the rings kept on respawning.

13. TimpZ

TimpZ Well-Known Member Member

I really like your work Shockwave. One thing I noticed though was that you seem to use path swappers. If that's the case, don't forget to port/set the functionality of only swapping while connected to the ground in the loops (unless you intentionally did that, it's just something people usually don't know about or don't notice)

Other than that I can only say that I'm looking forward to how you'll change the levels and hopefully make the time travel useful (Sonic CD sure didn't, that thing was a nuisance :p)

14. Cinossu

Cinossu A blend of secret herbs and spices Member

Ahh, time travel, and all the niceties that come with it; one of the first things I implemented when I began working on stuff many, many years ago now. :U </oldperson>

Very impressive. Lots of things implemented already and what seems to be flawlessly; the time posts, the effect while running, the transition itself (minus the animation), positional loading, flowers instead of animals, the badnik transporter, good future effects.. 'tis very impressive, indeed.

One thing Nineko mentioned, and I am wondering about as well; have you implemented the multiple object sets and object respawn/load data for each timezone? One of the more annoying things to implement at the time (partly due to space constraints, of which there are many known and easy ways around now, and partly due to how little was actually known about how the game fully worked) was multiple sets of objects that retain their states after transport to another time.

Something else you might want to think about implementing is one of the Ring Management systems from either Sonic 2 or 3K; there is noticeable slowdown on your video there, and something as simple as just doing this in the place of each ring being an individual object really does help here. Additional implementations of ideas such as a Y check on the object run in addition to the usual X check done in Sonic 1 would also help.

I very much look forward to see where this is all going.

15. Shockwave

I haven't set anything up for remembering object states during time travel just yet. That's probably what I'll work on next since the main mechanic itself is pretty much there.

And I've definitely noted the slowdown in various areas. I've already followed a few guides on the Retro wiki to help with that, such as improving the ObjectMove routines and implementing the S3K priority manager (an absolute pain when you start out without equates), but obviously a little more needs to be done. I have attempted putting in the S3K object manager,  but I haven't quite worked that out yet. I did completely overlook the idea of changing the ring manager though so I'll go ahead and give that a try, thanks for the recommendation.

I've taken note of that as well, but as you said, not many people really notice it so it hasn't really been much of a priority since loops function perfectly fine regardless. I can always change it if people do consider it necessary.

16. Flamewing

Flamewing Elite Hacker Member

Porting the S3&K object manager will require an awful lot of work, and is prone to introducing all kinds of bugs. Be sure to make regular backups while doing it, preferrably by using version control software, so you can compare with the last working version of any given object.

Other than the object manager and the ring manager, something else you can do is port S3&K's collision response list — it also gives a good performance improvement, and require less work than porting the object manager.

Yet another thing you can do is port the S3&K equivalent of BuildSprites (don't recall the name — I think it is Render_Sprites) — and convert mappings to S3&K format. These also help along, but they take a lot of work — you need to find all places in the code that manipulate mappings directly and edit them accordingly, and you need to edit all objects to make sure that they are never deleted after being queued for drawing or you will get address error exceptions in BuildSprites.

17. Solar

Solar What? Member

Ideas on Star Light I have almost none.
    I have a new background above Post, hope you like the front .-.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2014
  18. Shockwave

Wow... Hezon, do you do any other forms of artwork? Cause if they're anything like this then I would love to see! Seriously, the only minor flaw I have is the gradient in the BG. Other than that, it's gorgeous.

Oh, and Joenick, since I didn't notice your question earlier:

All of the new routines and objects are done completely from scratch with the exception of the Kamemusi badnik, which is just a modified Crabmeat that moves more quickly and shoots its projectiles faster. Although I do want to make it behave more like it did in SCD (moves left and right and only fires if Sonic gets close).

19. RandomAvatarFan

RandomAvatarFan Well-Known Member Member

I think the last time I looked at my hack was when this video was uploaded, but I'm excited to get back to work.

It started out as a newbie hack, messing with colors, text, adding basic features like spin-dash according to the guides, but I wanted something a little more.
    I started fooling around with the source and seeing the things I could do. I still get stuck on some simple things, but I have a feel about how to manipulate the game better.

I am RandomAvatarFan, and this is Sonic RAFed: a randomized Sonic game.

What is being showcased in this video is the dynamic level layouts.  Right now it's just object placement, and will probably remain that way.  What was once an extra path filled with rings becomes a spike pit. Where a static wall once blocked your path becomes a short cut to the end. With just a change of object placement, the entire level can change.  I have two of layouts per act.

My intention is to make it load randomly upon start up, but right now (what is shown in the video) I have the second layout come up when the level select code is punched in.  It was an easy way to implement the two layouts and test the way they work.

One of the things not shown in the video is this fun little monitor:
    [​IMG]

Right now it will either give you an extra life or give you a chaos emerald and unlock one of the "special moves": the Slide'n'Punch ™ or lazy spin dash. But my goals are:

1)  Add the other monitor effects (including the Robotnik monitor) to the RAF monitor, à la Sonic 2 VS mode, and completely replace all the monitors with these Random monitors.  

2) After some inspiration from playing Sonic CD and seeing Shockwave's video above, I'm also giving these monitors the chance of switching the act to the other layout.  I'm experimenting with the lamppost data to see how the game saves and loads Sonic's position and other objects right now.  I'll see where that takes me...

3) Fix Act 1's layout.  I know that's what's being shown off in the video, but I'm not very proud of it. 

4)  New layouts for all the acts.

And that's all I have for the moment.  The features are coming piece by piece, but it's coming together.  My hack might be four years old, but I'm still a newbie.  I think having a game that is something different each time would be fun...

20. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

Wow, I haven't seen you post in a bit. I must've only been here about a month before you left. :

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.