Sonic Hacking Contest 2015

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Spanner, Jan 17, 2015.

1. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

Given this extension, I might actually make something...

2. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

This may also benefit those streamers who showcase the hacks since I think it would of overlapped the charity stream they do every year like last year.

3. KosmoF

KosmoF Masochistic epileptic FEMALE gamer! Member

What with the month's extension it looks like a stream, that was planned for months and announced on my YT channel back in May/June, showcasing the various entries will most likely be cancelled due to the steam's host having other commitments during the contest week :'( But hey, maybe next year will be a chance to do a showcase stream.  On the positive side though it gives entrants more of a chance to work on their projects, making the anticipation to play them even more hightened :D

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2015
  4. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    Who's your stream's host, maybe I can see if we can work something out?

5. KosmoF

KosmoF Masochistic epileptic FEMALE gamer! Member

​It was joshwoakesm (the Sonic G6 hack creator) that was planning to do stream sessions throughout the week, showcasing the public entries that will be available during the contest, and he requested that I be the co-commentator for the sessions.

6. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

A reminder that the hacking contest is still going on and that everyone who is intending to submit should prepare entries for as soon as the site is ready.

The submissions deadline for entries will be Sunday 6th September 2015​ where you must submit a playable build by then to the contest site in order for it to be entered.

You then have a week to refine your entry, fix any issues found and improve your hack which will be Sunday 13th September 2015.

Yes I'm aware, the site is holding this contest up and it really should have been up by now. Cinossu will be providing an update at some point concerning the progress as I can certainly understand that there are people getting restless over the fact that this contest hasn't been going to plan this year. At the end of the day, when someone has to prioritise their actual life and work over a contest, then that is completely understandable. Obviously it inconviences people who are planning to submit as well as those judging and doing media, but setbacks do happen all the time, it's just something we have to deal with.

If there needs to be any time extensions once again I will have to do that. Otherwise, prepare your entries and when the site is live, put them through as soon as you can.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2015
  7. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

I actually wanted to ask this some time ago already: Why exactly do we need a new website every year? What speaks against reusing one from the previous years?

8. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero Well-Known Member Member

Yeah I agree, I thought last year's site was perfect.

9. Chaotix

Chaotix Bad at Team Fortress 2 Member

​Possibly to keep SHC fresh, having the same website over and over again can be a little disheartening. Not to mention if something major changes they have to edit everything, whereas with a new site it doesn't need editing. Plus, the Sega Homebrew Contest is on this year and Cinossu was smart to combine both sites into one, rather than re-coding another site just for Knuckles. Just my two cents on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2015
  10. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

​The whole point of this site (which Cinossu wanted to do) was to improve it over the last website, offer more functionality and also make it more reliable as there have been times when the site went down due to issues. From what I saw with the in-progress site, it's looking really good and it's certainly a lot better to work with than the last site, it's just that the guy's been busy with his own work where he does web development for a living. That I can understand, things can get in the way of things. It's just unfortunate when there's no progress updates at all, or any messages being left to say that there's been an issue that's going to delay the site again. I'm not mad at him, I can understand how things happen, it's just when we're two weeks away from the revised once-again deadline and there's nothing then it just means we have to increase the deadline once again and make sure everything is done and ready to go. I want at least a month of the site being open to the deadlines concerned.

The problem with extending the deadlines are that we have the media side of things, we have these streamers and YouTube favourites who are willing to help out with the contest, but when the dates change and other shit is already going to happen, then that means we lose those vital people - one of the biggest changes and benefits over the contest years ago was the community interaction instead of it just being a closed shop environment plus the fact that everything was being done on time and people could trust the dates given for when they'd get the results. Now I think we're just letting everyone down, from the people who submit to the normal players and even any staff member of the contest. Like I said, I'm not blaming Cinossu for anything, it's just the obvious lack of communication here is causing things to be delayed even further. Obviously something has got in the way and to that, there's not much that can be done at the moment. This is just a community event for fun, nobody's getting paid to do this shit or anything.

I will be revising the contest dates once I talk to the judges and the media people. It's not something I want to do, but it's certainly something that I just have to. Next year is going to be without all these issues, especially when this site is going to be built to last essentially. Obviously if you're submitting or plan to, then certainly you'll like the extra time, but there will be people who just want this to be over and done with so they can see if their hacks are worth it.

11. Donnie Paradox

Donnie Paradox SSF1991 Member

As long as we're still able to do this, it's fine with me.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2015
  12. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

That's why I asked, why can't Cinossu get some help?. It's obviously alot for him to handle right now, he could use an extra pair of hands.

13. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

New contest dates are as follows:

Submissions Deadline: Sunday 4th October

Updates Deadline: Sunday 11th October

Contest Week: Monday 19th to Sunday 25th October

14. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

If this keeps going on, getting my hack judged will be my Christmas present.

I'm still glad we get another extra month because stuff I thought last month I could finish this month is going to need another month.

15. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

October!? I'm not complaining or anything, but the extreme delays are just shocking to me. I feel really sorry for Cinossu right now, he must in the middle of a lot of work to have such limited free time devoted to the site...

16. TheWildEstian

TheWildEstian Newcomer Member

How to I submit a hack? i'm sorry if this is a dumb question but i'm new to this!

17. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

Wait for an announcement that the website is up.

18. Cinossu

Cinossu A blend of secret herbs and spices Member

Super-sorry for the huge delay; as we get older real life gets more and more in the way of things, especially when your job is a busy one. You all just need to wait the smallest bit longer, as the site is going up this week completely finished or not (there's bits we can work on with it live). Get those entries, descriptions, and media all ready to upload!

http://shc.sonicresearch.org

19. MrIE

MrIE Newcomer Trialist

I Can't Wait for the contest to start!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2015
  20. Cinossu

Cinossu A blend of secret herbs and spices Member

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2015